Helpful Tips in dealing with your water damage loss:
- Stop the leak as soon as possible. Call your local plumbing company to repair the leaking area.
- Begin mitigation process immediately to avoid secondary damages from occurring. If water sits too long, the damage will continue to spread causing more area of loss. Structural materials and furnishings that have been left in a “wet” state for prolonged periods of time will start to breakdown and possibly become unsalvageable.
- Always use a skilled, certified company to perform your restoration work. A certified technician will have the skills and experience to handle your water loss in the most efficient, cost effective manner.
- Contact your insurance company and file a claim. No company can give you a guarantee on your coverage for water damage loss other than your insurance provider. You have the right to choose your own remediation company.
- A water-damaged home or business can pose safety hazards. The biggest safety hazard on a water loss is slipping and falling.
- If a Category 3 loss occurs, ESR recommends occupants to vacate until mitigation procedures take place. Category 3 water can pose a significant health hazard especially to immune compromised individuals i.e. infants, young children, and elderly.
- Time plays a factor in your water loss. A “clean” water loss can change to a Category 2 or 3 as the water sits for prolonged periods of time and bacteria begins to amplify. These changes to the structural materials can begin to occur within 48 to 72 hours of the loss occurring.
Important Water Conservation Tips
Servicing all of California here at Emergency Services Restoration we gladly promote water conservation. As we all know California is in a drought and has been for many years we live and love California so we help preserve it. Here are some very helpful tips on how you as a California resident can also conserve water!
- Always turn water off while brushing your teeth & washing your face, fill sink while shaving.
- Quick showers are best for the Environment.
- Repair any leaking faucets & toilets.
- While cleaning dishes use minimal water, rinse, scrub and rinse when all dishes have been cleaned.
- Use dishwasher only when full another great way is mode light wash.
- Minimal water when using garbage disposal consider composting!
- Best way to conserve while doing laundry is to wash full loads never small loads.
- Most new appliances have a water saving mode, use on all loads.
- Repair any leaking hoses and or irrigation system.
- Water lawn when necessary not daily, best times are at nightfall, rather than during the day when the sun is at its strongest which will evaporate the water.
- If you have an automatic lawn irrigation system be sure it is set for early in the morning or even better for nightfall.
- Sweep driveways rather than hose down. This can really save you on your water bill & California.
- Use mulch around flower beds & shrubs to help retain water and sustain health plant growth.
- Applying compost and or organic matter help water retention & improve soil conditions for healthy plant life.
- Collecting rainfall with a screen on top to keep mosquitos & larva away is always a good idea!